Garages and sheds are an integral part of a homeowner’s property. Hence, it is important that when he takes possession of the property, he see to it that the garages and sheds are in proper working condition and make renovations, if necessary.
A value of garages and sheds if considering reselling your property:
Garages and sheds in good working conditions and supporting documentation with permits go a long way in increasing the value of your property when selling it. Other factors like those that the location of your home from the hub of the city, its age, as well as, selling prices of neighbouring houses are beyond your reasonable control.
Benefits from daily maintenance of garages and sheds:
- The garages and sheds look pleasing to the eye both from the inside and outside. Any unexpected and prospective buyer will be impressed.
- The storage spaces can be utilised in a much better way and clear space for effective movement within the shed.
- Clutter free environment.
- Energy efficiency improvements.
Some suggested improvements for upgrading garages and sheds:
- An addition of doors: Addition of doors to your garage can improve resale by as much as 88%, not a bad return. It is the best home improvement investments, which affect the resale value. This is because garage doors take up nearly a third of the front of the home. High-quality materials like reinforced steel, fibreglass, full view aluminium, and wooden garage doors are in vogue.
- Setting aside storage space in garages and sheds: You should have adequate storage solutions for buyers, which include speciality storage racks, garage storage cabinets to store away all tools, as well as, hanging accessories with slat wall storage.
- Floor coating: This can have a good and positive effect on the buyer, as it reinforces the owner’s sense of cleanliness. It makes sense to have a durable coating that holds out over time.
- A workspace: Both garages and sheds increase in attractiveness if they have a workspace installed, men like to get their hands dirty on fixing things on their own and this is an incentive for them. Some garages also have home automotive shops that take care of virtually every problem your car encounters.
- Insulation: Good and professional thermal insulation is essential to monitor the temperature inside the garages and sheds and this helps to dramatically lower your electricity bills. This can be done with the help of insulated garage doors and insulation for ceilings and walls.
Garages and Sheds
Things to consider before finalising garages and sheds
- Primarily, a garage should be long and wide enough to accommodate a car of an average shape and bigger if possible. So that, if you buy a larger car, you don’t have to change the dimensions of the garage, a loss of money to say the least.
- Your garages and sheds have to include doors, which are proportionate with multiple entrances, for easy accessibility. Storage space should be adequate, as well as good lighting.
- There is software that allows you to visualise your garages and sheds before you actually embark on constructing them and organising the layout. The advantage with this is that a lot of physical labor is saved, as you can tinker around with the objects you intend to place in the garage and decide on the best design. In addition, you will not have regrets later, knowing that the decision was your own and there’s no interior designer to complain about.
- Lastly, draw up an inventory for what you intend to keep in your garages and sheds, is it only going to be used for parking? If so, will it be seasonal? Also, consider if there is enough space for a workshop and storage for tools.