Excessive use of processed foods has led to many kinds of tooth problems these days. And this has introduced the solutions like a dental implant. Basically, these are like real teeth but there is no chewing noise or other kinds of sounds. These are ideal for people who are suffering from teeth issues and need a replacement. If taken care properly these would last you a lifetime, making them a sustainable solution. An advantage here is that there is literally no bone loss because the implants replace your tooth along with the root.Things to know about denture implants
Denture implants are frames or posts made of titanium and other materials that are surgically placed into patient’s jawbone beneath the gum line then the dentist mounts replacement teeth or bridge into that area. It is typically performed in several steps: –
1. An initial examination or consultation with the dentist.
2. Placement of the dental implant is done by the dentist under local anesthesia or sedative.
3. Placement of abutment after Osseo-integration i.e. bone and implant fixture growing together.
4. After two to six months the artificial tooth or crown are placed on top of the implant.
Some benefits of denture implants
- Implants are cleaned in the same way as your natural teeth, so there’s no need to take them out at night for cleaning or soaking.
- The success rate of denture implants in healthy individuals can be as high as ninety-seven percent as compared to bridges.
- They are a better long-term solution as bridges last from 5 to 7 years traditionally and with proper care and maintenance denture implants can last a lifetime.
- They are more cost effective as bridges have a shorter life and the costs add up over time but dental implants is a one-time investment.
- Denture implants allow you to maintain the natural face, shape, and smile which might not be the case in all other tooth replacement options.
- Denture implants allow you to eat almost everything as your original teeth would Unlike removable dentures that cause discomfort.
- It prevents cavities as they can’t occur in an implant restored crown or replacement tooth.
- Denture implants have a better structure that is fixed in place and fuse naturally with your jawbone and doesn’t move, click or shift when you eat, talk, smile, laugh, kiss, yawn or a cough, unlike dentures which slip and you have to reposition them.
- They allow you to maintain good oral hygiene because you can naturally brush and floss them.
- It gives you the choice of ceramic or porcelain material for your crown. Usually, ceramic crowns are more expensive but porcelain has a more natural look to it.
Some disadvantages of denture implants
- The biggest disadvantage of denture implant is time. The procedure usually takes two to six months it can be a tedious process as the implant takes a time to fuse with the bone.
- If you have any kind of bone disease or a weakened jaw bone you cannot get denture implants fitted as the jaw might be damaged.
- It is an expensive medical procedure and might not be viable for everyone.
- If you are only missing one tooth, it would make more sense in investing in some other option like bridges.
The pros of denture implants weigh more than its cons and is an ideal cosmetic solution to missing teeth which helps you with better speech, appearance, oral health, and self-esteem. Do remember that it is best to consult an expert dentist to ensure you get quality service and enjoy unlimited smile times. Even dental implants an aesthetic result, replacing teeth is more than cosmetic.